Monday, February 16, 2009

And Then There Were Three..............

When I got home from my dentist appointment about 1:30 this afternoon, I saw one cow standing off from the others. I walked out to check on her and, what do you know, there was a calf. It didn't even belong to the cow I was checking. It belonged to a heifer. We are just in the house having gotten mom and calf, a bull calf, into the lean-to on the barn which Jake finished repairing about an hour ago.

The new calf is nursing, thank heaven. Holly's calf is not. We have tubed it with colestrum and about a quart of milk replacer tonight. Holly is sticking by its side and licking, but "here ain't no nursing happenin!!" That is trouble since the calf does not want to suck.

No pictures of the new calf. He is all dirty because his mom dragged him all over the pasture before we got them into the barn. Maybe he will clean in the new straw in the lean-to.

Oh, yeah, hope that goat in Iowa has triplets so she can keep up with us here in Wisconsin.

3 comments:

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

You must mean Claire's goat! Ha! She probably will. The more the merrier in Iowa. Did we get our udder shot today from Iowa? I'll have to check.

Claire MW said...

No udder shot today, and no kids yet. I doubt triplets are in the works because it's her first time, so likely even to be a single, although we don't know for sure!

Karen said...

The pictures from your previous posts are great! The calves are so cute, I haven't seen a calf for ages, I guess it was at the MN Zoo 2 years ago!