Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New kids on the block




Well, here they are, the new kids on the block. They are inside yet, getting used to being in Wisconsin. So far they think it is much like Michigan. They are joined by a small Wisconsin ram in the pen in the middle. This weekend they get to experience the real outside. Right now they are Sugarplum Snowflake and Luscious Lolllipop, the girls, and (who knows yet) the ram. So far no name has popped into my head for this young man. I don't know about his temperment, but he sure has it in looks department. The girls are coming up greet me and will touch my hand, but he is real stand-offish yet. Right now, they all look wonderful, and I can hardly wait to get them outside with everyone else. I have to buy collars and bells for all of them. I wanted to have them before they went out, but I guess it can wait until I separate them at breeding time.

The other picture is the second Hungarian visitors that have been here at the farm this summer. They were here about three weeks ago for a week. Kati was a student of mine a long time ago and a guest in my home for about six months in the late 80's. Jake and I have met her husband when they visited about 10 years ago when Kati was doing a master's degree at Emory in Atlanta. The family came to the US to attend her reunion and came up to visit us while they were here. It was wonderful seeing her again, and her children were an added benefit. The little girl, Juli, was a hoot. Since both children are learning English from this mother, Juli was able to communicate somewhat. She learned quickly to say "No, Scooter" to the dog and started saying it the minute she walked into the house. It was very interesting to hear the children repeat anything their mother asked them to in English with very little accent. What they say about children learning another language at a young age was easy to understand when listening to them. I hope that Kati keeps working with them because they have a real good start in the language learning area.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I thought you got a grey ram from Stephen; who's the new fellow from Wisconsin? Are the tips of his horns flaring outward yet? In the photo it doesn't look like they are making that critical turn yet. (Lois Moore has a good post on that subject: http://stonehavenfarm.com/blog/?p=91)

Nancy K. said...

They're gorgeous Sharrie! Knock Out ram!!! You'll get some colorful lambs now....