Thursday, March 16, 2006

High Ridge Highlights


High Ridge Highlights


It is snowing up here. We are supposed to have some significant accumulations. Last time they were wrong, but it looks like this time we may take a hit. We are ready. The cows have extra supplies in the barn where they will stay while the storm lasts. They seem to like the shelter of the shed when it is storming. I guess that is not too dumb. The sheep will stay in during the storm, but they wil be out soon afterward. They are a hardy breed and are often seen laying down on the snow. The outside cats will be hopping around and begging to go into the "little house." Sometimes I will let them. It just depends
It looks like today will be a "quiet work day." That means sewing and reading, whichever I chose at the time. Right now it is the middle of the night and Pansy (inside cat) is doing wind sprints from the shop to the bedroom. I guess she thinks that is fun. It is accompanied by "mews" just to inform me about what is happening.
Up here we are expecting an exciting spring. Our animals are bred, except the cats. If all goes well, we could have a lamb and some calves. It is a guessing game because no one is noticeably pregnant. Lambing would be after April 15, and I don't have a date for the calves. I will have to check on that. It should be an exciting time. We have had two births on the farm so far. One we expected and the other was a surprise. Both were uneventful, thank heavens. That means that we have two calves now, plus one. They are all in the barn with their moms, two boys and one girl.
Now we will wait and see who else produces offspring. I am fearful that our bigger heifers will not be bred because our bull is quite small. I hope that I am wrong. Maybe he is a bigger boy than I think. The ewe did not get pregnant on her first exposure to a ram last year, before I bought her. We will see if we do better this year.
Inside, I just finished my spring quilt yesterday. Today I hung it in the bedroom. It is too big. The winter and summer quilts will just be full size. Now I need to finish some placemats and table runners. The placemats just need binding, today's work. I need to finish piecing two of the table runners and then quilt and bind them. The light should be good today with all the snow reflecting into the shop.
Yesterday I did demolition duty. I cut out the framework for a closet that was in a room upstairs. It gained me a few more inches of space for storage. I have condensed all of my "stuff" into one room now which leaves the larger room upstairs for a usable living space. I have my wool preparation machines up there and a desk and dresser for storage. It is a pleasant room because of the southern exposure. The cats sure like the two south windows for "serious sunning." Southern windows are at a premium in this house where light is dearly needed.
Only four days until spring!!!! But who is counting?

No comments: