Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Another highlight


Well, this morning was another highlight as High Ridge Farm. When I went out to do chores this morning, the 2 boy sheep had gotten a door open in their pen and disappeared. They had dropped down into the shed where the manure spreader and tractor are kept. The landing and stairs are in ruins, and I have no idea how they got down into the shed without hurting themselves. I had a few scary moments until I got down there and checked them out. The next problem was how to get them back up into their pen. The first step left on the stairs was about 4 feet up in the air. I made a ramp with several pieces of plywood and added a set of steps from our old basement that had two steps on it. I was able to use my "ramp" to get up. Dickie was the first one to come up. Since they have been shorn, they remind me of goats. Now Dickie was as nimble as a goat as he came up the ramp and steps and got back into his pen. Tommy was not so sure that it could be done. I had to go back down and coax him to come up the ramp and steps. I was so happy that they were back in their pen and unhurt. I don't know how they came out of that unscathed.

I have left them in the barn because they are happy there and Ami, my ewe, is much happier to have some other sheep with her. She is all alone since my old ewe died last month. I am working with her to tame her down. She is very shy. That is an understatement. I sure hope that I can gain her confidence before she is due to lamb. I sure hope she has a lamb. She is nice and rounded now and doesn't look like the boys at all. I sure hope that roundedness is a lamb getting ready to be born.

It looks like April 15 is the approximate date for birthing around here. We have 8 cows and one sheep who have been "exposed" to a bull and a ram. Now, will there be offspring? I sure hope so although the bull may be too small for a couple of the cows. We will just have to wait and see. It should be another "highlight" at this place.

No comments: